BACON & BOURBON GREEN BEANS FLAMBÉ
Whip up this quick and easy side dish to serve with your favorite BBQ! Fresh green beans, smokey bacon, and rich bourbon are set ablaze for the perfect savory green beans dish!
Heat a cast iron skillet on medium high heat on the grill.
Add bacon to cast iron and cook 10-15 minutes until crisp. Remove the bacon, reserving the bacon grease in the pan, and let drain on a paper towel.
To the pan add the olive oil, shallots and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the green beans, rub, and balsamic and stir to coat. Cook until the green beans are bright green, about 4-5 minutes.
In a separate small fry pan over medium heat add the bourbon and heat until bubbles form around the edges of the pan. Make sure the liquid doesnot boil (if you get the bourbon too hot, it will not light on fire). Use a long lighter to light the vapors right above the bourbon.
Pour the bourbon that is now on fire into your green bean pan and shake until the flame dies out.
Finish with sea salt and bacon. Enjoy immediately!
Tips to Flambé Safely at Home:
- Do not use alcohol over 120 proof. We recommend sticking with 80 proof alcohol.
- Heat and light your alcohol in a separate pan, this will help you both control the flame and ensure the alcohol does light on fire.
- When lighting the alcohol light the vapors above, instead of touching the flame to the liquid.
- Do not pour alcohol directly from the bottle into your pan.
- The more oil that is in your pan the larger (and more dramatic) your flame will be.
- Gently shake your pan until the flame has gone.