Caramelized Onion, Rosemary & Mozzarella Crostini
Caramelized onions are a great way to add sweetness to lots of dishes. Use this technique for a number of other recipes including French Onion Soup or simply follow this “deconstructed” French onion crostini for a beautiful appetizer.
Prep Time: 10 minutes - Cook Time: 80 minutes - Total Time: 90 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 3 Onions, cut into 1/2 rings or petals
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Dry White Wine
- 1 crusty Italian Baguette
- 1/2 fresh Mozzarella cheese
- In a large sauté pan, heat the Avocado Oil over medium heat. Add the onions, Sel Gris, sugar, and Mediterranean Rub.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, as the onions slowly caramelize and reduce, about 50-60 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and add the wine to de-glaze the pan. Stir in the Sherry Vinegar. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the baguette into ¼” slices and arrange on a baking sheet. Drizzle with Rosemary Olive Oil and bake until light brown in color, about 10 minutes.
- Top each of the baguette slices with mozzarella cheese, caramelized onions, and a pinch of Mediterranean Rub. Return to the oven until the cheese is melted and golden in color, about 10 minutes. Enjoy!