Caramelized Onion, Rosemary & Mozzarella Crostini
Caramelized onions are a great way to add sweetness to lots of dishes. Use this technique for a number of other recipes including French onion soup or simply follow this “deconstructed” French onion crostini for a beautiful appetizer.
Prep Time:10 minutes - Cook Time:80 minutes - Total Time:90 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 3 Onions, cut into 1/2 rings or petals
- 2 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp Sel Gris Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Mediterranean Rub
- 1/4 cup Dry White Wine
- 1 Tbsp Reserva Sherry Vinegar
- 1 crusty Italian Baguette
- 3 Tbsp Wild Rosemary Olive Oil
- 1/2 fresh Mozzarella cheese
- In a large sauté pan, heat the avocado oil over medium heat. Add the onions, sel gris, sugar, and Mediterranean rub.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, as the onions slowly caramelize and reduce, about 50-60 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium high and add the wine to de-glaze the pan. Stir in the sherry vinegar. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the baguette into ¼” slices and arrange on a baking sheet. Drizzle with rosemary olive oil and bake until light brown in color, about 10 minutes.
- Top each of the baguette slices with mozzarella cheese, caramelized onions, and a pinch of Mediterranean rub. Return to the oven until the cheese is melted and golden in color, about 10 minutes. Enjoy!